Artist Statement and Excerpts from My BFA Show - Spring 2016

J. Allen Wood

Artist Statement

As a keen observer and record keeper of my many life experiences and involvement with industry, I tend to incorporate fragments of these details into my projects, with the aim of entertaining, stimulating, or questioning what is or what might be.  

Formally induced by academic timelines to produce such works, I have embraced the exciting medium of digital video and still image/graphic production.  Equally important to me is how music and sound frequently accompany my projects as integral components of communication.

I tend to choose subjects that reflect American social attitudes about consumerism, politics, morality, spirituality, work, and relationships.  In some cases, my goal is simply entertainment from my point of view or to generate a marketing piece with aesthetic qualities to encourage interest.

In my recent project Floral Gables, a television title sequence exercise, I attempted to capture the essence of a unique true story of a fourth-generation child who is exposed to the flower shop business at an early age.  I fabricated a narrative that places the young girl as an owner of the shop in her twenties, becoming the basis for a web series or television comedy/drama show. 

My show opener for Fingers and Frets has various 3D graphics and visuals with lots of motion to engage the viewer, complete with an original jingle I composed, sang, and played.

My mixed media piece, So Long Summer, incorporates still images with video in the sky, with two feathered diagonal boundaries framing the skyward imagery.  The essence of this piece is to question our place in the world when it all feels so temporary.

 Still Photography

Image by J. Allen Wood; artistic picture of birch tree with peeling back and contrasting wood fence in background

"Birch Bark and Fence"

Image by J. Allen Wood; Goshen, Indiana courthouse as seen from an alley with the silhouette of a man in the distance

"Man in an Alley"

Image by J. Allen Wood; this is an old 1920's wood and iron industrial cart that was in an abandoned factory that has been weathered over time

"Old Factory Cart"

Image by J. Allen Wood; an older full size bicycle painted all orange, including tires, is leaning against a telephone pole

"Orangecycle"




Images captured with Canon EOS Rebel T4i DSLR and edited by J. Allen Wood

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh The Trajectory Life Can Take